What to Do in Colorado in April
April is a fantastic time to visit Colorado. As the snow begins to melt, the state comes alive with various outdoor activities and events. From hiking and biking to cultural festivals and wildlife watching, there is something for everyone. Whether you are a nature enthusiast, adventure seeker, or history buff, Colorado has plenty to offer in April. In this article, we will explore some of the best things to do in Colorado during this beautiful spring month.
1. Explore Rocky Mountain National Park: April marks the beginning of the hiking season at Rocky Mountain National Park. With over 355 miles of trails, you can choose from a range of difficulty levels and enjoy breathtaking views of snow-capped peaks, alpine lakes, and vibrant wildflowers.
2. Visit Garden of the Gods: Located in Colorado Springs, Garden of the Gods is a stunning natural landmark. In April, the park is less crowded, allowing you to wander through its red rock formations and enjoy scenic drives or rock climbing. Don’t forget to bring your camera to capture the beauty of this unique geological site.
3. Attend the Denver Tulip Festival: Every April, Denver celebrates the arrival of spring with the Denver Tulip Festival. Stroll through the stunning displays of colorful tulips at the Denver Botanic Gardens and enjoy live music, cultural performances, and delicious food from local vendors.
4. Take a Hot Air Balloon Ride: Experience Colorado’s breathtaking landscapes from a different perspective by taking a hot air balloon ride. Float above the beautiful countryside and witness the stunning vistas of mountains, lakes, and valleys as you soar through the sky.
5. Explore Mesa Verde National Park: April is a great time to visit Mesa Verde National Park, home to the well-preserved cliff dwellings of the Ancestral Pueblo people. Take a guided tour to learn about the history and culture of these ancient civilizations and explore the archaeological sites nestled within the park.
6. Go Wildlife Watching: April is a fantastic month for wildlife enthusiasts. Head to the San Luis Valley to witness the annual sandhill crane migration. You can also spot bighorn sheep, elk, and various bird species in the Rocky Mountains or visit the Colorado Wolf and Wildlife Center to see wolves up close.
7. Attend the Great American Beer Festival: Beer lovers should not miss the Great American Beer Festival held in Denver. This annual event showcases over 4,000 different beers from more than 800 breweries. Enjoy tastings, educational sessions, and live entertainment at one of the largest beer festivals in the country.
8. Enjoy Skiing and Snowboarding: While April marks the end of the ski season in most resorts, you can still enjoy some excellent spring skiing conditions in Colorado. Resorts like Aspen, Vail, and Breckenridge offer discounted lift tickets and a chance to enjoy the slopes under the warm spring sun.
9. Visit the Royal Gorge Bridge and Park: Head to Cañon City and experience the thrill of crossing the highest suspension bridge in North America at the Royal Gorge Bridge and Park. Enjoy stunning views of the Arkansas River and the surrounding canyon, take a zip line tour, or ride the aerial tram.
10. Explore Denver’s Cultural Scene: In addition to the tulip festival, Denver offers a vibrant cultural scene with numerous museums, galleries, and theaters. Visit the Denver Art Museum, catch a Broadway show at the Denver Center for the Performing Arts, or explore the historic Larimer Square for shopping and dining.
1. Is April a good time to visit Colorado?
Yes, April is a great time to visit Colorado. The weather is mild, and the snow begins to melt, allowing for various outdoor activities. Additionally, many popular tourist destinations are less crowded compared to the summer months.
2. What should I pack for a trip to Colorado in April?
In April, the weather in Colorado can be unpredictable. It is best to pack layers, including a warm jacket, sweaters, and long-sleeved shirts. Don’t forget to bring comfortable walking shoes, sunscreen, and a hat for outdoor activities.
3. Are there any festivals or events in Colorado in April?
Yes, Colorado hosts several festivals and events in April. Some notable ones include the Denver Tulip Festival, the Great American Beer Festival in Denver, and various Easter events across the state.
4. Can I still go skiing in April?
While most resorts close for the ski season in April, some high-altitude resorts may still have skiing opportunities. It is best to check with specific resorts for their ski conditions and availability.
5. Are there any wildlife watching opportunities in April?
April is an excellent time for wildlife watching in Colorado. You can spot migratory birds, elk, bighorn sheep, and even wolves in various areas across the state. Consider visiting wildlife refuges or national parks for the best chances of spotting wildlife.
In conclusion, April offers a myriad of activities and events in Colorado. From exploring national parks and witnessing wildlife migrations to attending cultural festivals and enjoying outdoor adventures, there is no shortage of things to do. Whether you prefer hiking, skiing, or immersing yourself in the local culture, Colorado in April has something to offer everyone.