Patriot Info Blog America What Is the Darkest Legal Tint in Kentucky

What Is the Darkest Legal Tint in Kentucky

What Is the Darkest Legal Tint in Kentucky?

Window tinting has become increasingly popular among vehicle owners in Kentucky. It not only enhances the aesthetics of the vehicle but also provides several benefits such as heat reduction, glare reduction, and protection against harmful UV rays. However, it is essential to be aware of the legal restrictions regarding window tinting in Kentucky to avoid any legal consequences. This article aims to provide an in-depth understanding of the darkest legal tint in Kentucky, along with frequently asked questions to address common concerns.

Kentucky Tint Laws:

Kentucky has specific regulations in place to ensure road safety and visibility for drivers. These regulations outline the permissible levels of darkness for window tinting. The darkness of window tint is measured as a percentage of visible light transmission (VLT). The lower the VLT percentage, the darker the tint.

Front Side Windows: In Kentucky, the darkest legal tint allowed on front side windows is 35% VLT. This means that only 35% of visible light should pass through the tinted glass, while the remaining 65% can be obstructed.

Back Side Windows: The law allows for a darker tint on back side windows, with a permissible VLT of 18%. This provides more privacy and sun protection for passengers in the rear seats.

Rear Window: The darkest legal tint on the rear window in Kentucky is also 18% VLT. This level of tinting helps reduce glare from headlights at night and provides privacy for the occupants.

Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs):

1. Can I have a darker tint on my rear window compared to the front side windows?
Yes, Kentucky law permits a darker tint on the rear window compared to the front side windows. The permissible VLT for rear windows is 18%, while the front side windows must have a minimum VLT of 35%.

See also  How Far Is Alabama From Destin Florida

2. Is it legal to have a windshield tinted in Kentucky?
Kentucky law prohibits any tinting on the windshield, except for a non-reflective strip along the top, typically known as the “sun visor.” This strip should not exceed five inches in height and must be placed below the AS1 line, which is the top edge of the windshield.

3. Are there any exceptions to the tint laws in Kentucky?
Yes, there are exceptions for medical conditions that require individuals to limit their exposure to sunlight. However, to qualify for an exemption, you must obtain a medical waiver from a licensed physician and carry it in the vehicle at all times.

4. What are the penalties for violating Kentucky’s window tint laws?
Violating window tint laws in Kentucky can result in fines and potentially even the removal of the tint. The fine amount may vary depending on the number of offenses and the severity of the violation. It is crucial to comply with the tint laws to avoid legal consequences.

5. Can I have my vehicle’s windows tinted beyond the legal limits in Kentucky?
No, exceeding the permitted VLT limits is against the law in Kentucky. It is important to follow these regulations to ensure clear visibility for both the driver and other road users.


Understanding the darkest legal tint in Kentucky is essential for vehicle owners considering window tinting. Kentucky law permits a maximum VLT of 35% for front side windows and 18% for back side windows and the rear window. It is crucial to adhere to these regulations to avoid legal penalties and maintain road safety. If you have specific concerns or medical requirements, it is advisable to consult a professional tinting service provider or the Kentucky Transportation Cabinet for further guidance.

See also  Where to Live Quiz USA

Related Post