What Do You Need to Get a Missouri ID?
If you are a resident of Missouri and want to obtain a Missouri ID, there are certain requirements and documents you need to provide. Whether you need an ID card for identification purposes or as an alternative to a driver’s license, it is essential to understand the process and gather the necessary paperwork beforehand. This article will guide you through the steps to obtain a Missouri ID and answer frequently asked questions about the process.
Requirements for Obtaining a Missouri ID:
1. Proof of Identity: You must provide proof of your identity, such as an original or certified copy of your birth certificate, a valid passport, or a permanent resident card. If you have legally changed your name, you will need to provide documentation of the name change, such as a marriage certificate or court order.
2. Proof of Missouri Residency: To establish your Missouri residency, you will need to provide documents such as utility bills, bank statements, rental or lease agreements, or a letter from a homeless shelter or transitional housing facility confirming your residency.
3. Social Security Number: You must provide your Social Security number or present documentation that proves you are not eligible for a Social Security number.
4. Application Form: You will need to complete an application form for a Missouri ID. This form can be obtained at any Missouri Department of Revenue (DOR) office or downloaded from their website.
5. Payment of Fees: There is a fee associated with obtaining a Missouri ID, which must be paid at the time of application. The fee may vary depending on your age and the length of the ID’s validity. Accepted payment methods usually include cash, check, or debit/credit card.
Q: Can I apply for a Missouri ID online?
A: No, currently, the Missouri DOR does not offer online applications for ID cards. You must apply in person at a local DOR office.
Q: Can I get a REAL ID-compliant Missouri ID?
A: Yes, the Missouri DOR issues REAL ID-compliant cards. To obtain a REAL ID, you will need to provide additional documentation, including proof of identity, Social Security number, and two proofs of Missouri residency. REAL ID-compliant cards are required for certain federal purposes, such as boarding domestic flights and entering federal facilities.
Q: Is there an age requirement for obtaining a Missouri ID?
A: Yes, you must be at least 16 years old to apply for a Missouri ID without parental consent. If you are under 16, you will need to have your parent or legal guardian accompany you and provide their identification.
Q: Can I use my Missouri ID for voting purposes?
A: Yes, a Missouri ID can be used as an acceptable form of identification for voting in Missouri. However, there are alternative identification options for those who do not possess a valid Missouri ID.
Q: What if I am an international student or non-U.S. citizen?
A: If you are an international student or non-U.S. citizen residing in Missouri, you can still obtain a Missouri ID. You will need to provide your passport, visa, I-94 record, and other relevant immigration documents.
Q: How long does it take to receive my Missouri ID?
A: Typically, you will receive your Missouri ID within 10-15 business days after applying. However, processing times may vary depending on the workload and other factors.
In conclusion, obtaining a Missouri ID requires providing proof of identity, Missouri residency, and a Social Security number. You will also need to complete an application form and pay the associated fees. Remember to gather all the necessary documents and visit a Missouri DOR office to apply in person. If you have more specific questions or need clarification, it is recommended to contact the Missouri DOR directly or visit their website for the most up-to-date information.