What Do I Need to Get an ID in Missouri?
Obtaining a valid identification card is an essential requirement for various purposes such as driving, traveling, and accessing certain services. In the state of Missouri, acquiring an ID card involves a straightforward process, but it’s important to be aware of the necessary documents and requirements. This article will guide you through the steps required to obtain an ID in Missouri and answer some frequently asked questions.
Documents Required for Missouri ID:
1. Proof of Identity: You will need to provide one primary document that verifies your identity. Acceptable documents include a certified birth certificate, passport, or a permanent resident card (green card).
2. Proof of Missouri Residency: You must provide one document that confirms your residency in Missouri. This can be a utility bill, bank statement, lease agreement, or any official mail addressed to you at your current address.
3. Social Security Number: You will need to present your Social Security card or a document that verifies your Social Security number, such as a W-2 form or a pay stub.
4. Proof of Legal Name Change (if applicable): If you have changed your name due to marriage, divorce, or any other legal reason, you must provide the relevant documentation, such as a marriage certificate or court order.
5. Proof of U.S. Citizenship or Lawful Presence: If you are a U.S. citizen, your birth certificate or passport will serve as proof. If you are not a citizen, you must provide valid immigration documents from the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS).
6. Proof of Name Change (if applicable): If your current legal name is different from the name on your primary identification document, you need to provide documentation supporting the name change, such as a marriage certificate or court order.
Once you have gathered the necessary documents, follow these steps to apply for your Missouri ID:
1. Visit a Missouri Department of Revenue (DOR) office: Locate the nearest DOR office and visit during their operating hours. You may schedule an appointment in advance to save time.
2. Complete the application form: Fill out the Missouri ID application form provided at the DOR office. Ensure all information is accurate and up-to-date.
3. Submit the required documents: Present the necessary documents, including proof of identity, residency, Social Security number, and U.S. citizenship or lawful presence.
4. Pay the fee: Pay the required fee for your Missouri ID. The fee may vary depending on the type and duration of the ID card.
5. Provide biometric information: You will be asked to have your photograph taken and your signature captured digitally for your ID card.
Frequently Asked Questions:
Q: What is the minimum age requirement to obtain a Missouri ID?
A: There is no minimum age requirement to obtain a Missouri ID. However, applicants under 18 years of age must have parental consent.
Q: Can I renew my Missouri ID online?
A: Yes, you can renew your Missouri ID online if you meet the eligibility criteria. Visit the Missouri DOR website to check if you qualify for online renewal.
Q: How long is a Missouri ID valid?
A: A Missouri ID card is generally valid for six years. However, if you are 70 years of age or older, your ID will be valid for three years.
Q: Can I use my Missouri ID for voting purposes?
A: Yes, a Missouri ID card is a valid form of identification for voting in state and federal elections.
Q: Can I use my out-of-state ID to obtain a Missouri ID?
A: No, you cannot use an out-of-state ID to obtain a Missouri ID. You must provide the necessary documents as outlined above.
In conclusion, obtaining an ID in Missouri requires gathering the appropriate documentation, visiting a DOR office, completing an application, paying the required fee, and providing biometric information. It is essential to ensure that you have all the necessary documents before starting the application process. Remember to check the Missouri DOR website for any updates or additional requirements.