Things to Do When It Rains in Florida
Florida is known for its sunny weather and beautiful beaches, but what happens when it rains? While many visitors might feel disappointed when the rain clouds roll in, there are still plenty of activities to enjoy during a rainy day in the Sunshine State. From indoor attractions to unique experiences, here are some things you can do when it rains in Florida.
1. Visit Museums and Galleries: Florida is home to a variety of museums and art galleries that offer a perfect escape from the rain. Explore the fascinating exhibits at the Florida Museum of Natural History in Gainesville, immerse yourself in the art scene at the Salvador Dali Museum in St. Petersburg, or learn about space exploration at the Kennedy Space Center Visitor Complex in Merritt Island.
2. Explore Aquariums and Zoos: Take shelter from the rain by visiting one of Florida’s many aquariums and zoos. Discover marine life at the Clearwater Marine Aquarium, where you can meet Winter the dolphin from the movie “Dolphin Tale.” Alternatively, head to the Central Florida Zoo & Botanical Gardens in Sanford, where you can observe a variety of exotic animals.
3. Go Indoor Shopping: Florida is known for its shopping opportunities, and a rainy day is the perfect excuse to indulge in some retail therapy. Visit malls like the Mall at Millenia in Orlando or the Aventura Mall in Miami, where you can find a wide range of stores, from high-end luxury brands to popular retailers.
4. Enjoy Indoor Theme Parks: Florida is home to numerous indoor theme parks that can entertain visitors rain or shine. Explore the excitement of indoor go-kart racing at Andretti Indoor Karting and Games in Orlando, or experience the adrenaline rush of indoor skydiving at iFLY Orlando. These attractions offer thrilling experiences, regardless of the weather outside.
5. Relax with a Spa Day: Use the rainy day as an opportunity to unwind and pamper yourself at one of Florida’s luxurious spas. Indulge in a soothing massage, rejuvenating facial, or relaxing body treatment. Many resorts and hotels offer spa services, such as The Ritz-Carlton Spa in Naples or The Breakers Palm Beach Spa in Palm Beach.
6. Attend a Cooking Class: Take advantage of the rainy weather to enhance your culinary skills by attending a cooking class. Many culinary schools and restaurants in Florida offer classes where you can learn how to prepare various dishes, from local seafood specialties to international cuisines. Not only will you learn new recipes, but you’ll also get to taste your creations.
7. Discover Historic Sites: Florida is rich in history, and a rainy day provides the perfect opportunity to explore its historic sites. Visit the Ernest Hemingway Home and Museum in Key West, where the famous author lived and wrote some of his most iconic works. Alternatively, explore the Castillo de San Marcos in St. Augustine, the oldest masonry fort in the continental United States.
8. Try Indoor Sports: If you’re a sports enthusiast, don’t let the rain dampen your spirits. Florida offers numerous indoor sports facilities where you can enjoy activities like indoor rock climbing, trampoline parks, or even indoor surfing. These facilities provide a fun and active way to spend your rainy day.
Q: Does it rain a lot in Florida?
A: Florida experiences a fair amount of rainfall, especially during the summer months. However, rain showers are often brief and followed by sunshine.
Q: Can you swim in the rain in Florida?
A: While swimming in the rain is possible, it is not recommended during thunderstorms or when lightning is present. It’s best to wait until the storm passes to ensure your safety.
Q: Are outdoor attractions closed during rainy days in Florida?
A: Some outdoor attractions, such as water parks or outdoor adventure parks, may close temporarily during heavy rain or thunderstorms. However, many attractions have indoor areas or activities that can still be enjoyed.
Q: Are there any discounts for indoor attractions on rainy days?
A: Some attractions may offer special discounts or promotions on rainy days to encourage visitors. It’s always a good idea to check the attraction’s website or call ahead to inquire about any rainy-day offers.
Q: What should I wear during a rainy day in Florida?
A: It’s advisable to bring a lightweight rain jacket or poncho, as well as a pair of waterproof shoes or sandals. This will allow you to explore outdoor areas briefly without getting too wet.
In conclusion, rainy days in Florida don’t have to dampen your spirits or ruin your plans. With a wide range of indoor attractions and activities to choose from, there are plenty of things to do when it rains in the Sunshine State. Whether you prefer exploring museums, indulging in retail therapy, or embarking on unique experiences, Florida has something to offer for everyone, rain or shine.