How Much Is a Louisiana State ID?
A state identification card is an essential document that allows individuals to prove their identity, age, and residency. In Louisiana, the Office of Motor Vehicles (OMV) is responsible for issuing state IDs. If you are wondering how much it costs to obtain a Louisiana state ID, this article will provide you with all the necessary information, including the fees involved and the application process. Additionally, a frequently asked questions (FAQs) section will address common queries related to Louisiana state IDs.
Fees for a Louisiana State ID:
To obtain a Louisiana state ID, you need to pay a fee. As of 2021, the cost for a Louisiana state ID is $21.50. This fee is subject to change, so it is advisable to check the latest fee schedule on the OMV’s official website or contact your local OMV office for the most up-to-date information.
It is important to note that the fee for a Louisiana state ID is non-refundable. Therefore, make sure you have all the necessary documentation and meet the eligibility requirements before applying to avoid any unnecessary expenses.
Application Process for a Louisiana State ID:
To apply for a Louisiana state ID, you must visit your local OMV office in person. Here is a step-by-step guide to help you through the application process:
1. Gather the Required Documents: Before visiting the OMV office, make sure you have the necessary documents as proof of your identity, residency, and Social Security number. The OMV provides a complete list of acceptable documents on their website, so ensure you have all the required paperwork to avoid any delays.
2. Complete the Application: Once you have gathered the necessary documents, you will need to complete the state ID application form. You can obtain this form from the OMV office or download it from their website. Fill out the form accurately and legibly.
3. Visit the OMV Office: Take all the required documents, completed application form, and the required fee to your local OMV office. Present your documents, and they will be verified by the OMV staff. You may also have to take a photograph at the office for your state ID.
4. Pay the Fee: As mentioned earlier, the fee for a Louisiana state ID is $21.50. You can pay this fee at the OMV office using cash, check, or credit/debit card. Make sure to keep the receipt provided by the OMV as proof of payment.
5. Receive Your State ID: After completing all the necessary steps and paying the fee, you will receive your Louisiana state ID. The OMV staff will inform you of the expected processing time, and you can either wait for it to be mailed to you or collect it from the office, depending on their procedure.
FAQs about Louisiana State IDs:
1. Can I renew my Louisiana state ID online?
Yes, you can renew your Louisiana state ID online if you meet certain criteria. The OMV allows online renewals for individuals between the ages of 17 and 70, provided they have not changed their name or address since their last renewal.
2. Can I use my Louisiana state ID for air travel?
No, a Louisiana state ID is not considered a valid form of identification for air travel within the United States. To board a domestic flight, you will need a federally compliant ID, such as a passport or REAL ID driver’s license.
3. Can I obtain a Louisiana state ID if I am not a U.S. citizen?
Yes, non-U.S. citizens who are legal residents of Louisiana can apply for a state ID by presenting appropriate documentation, such as a valid visa or permanent resident card.
4. Can I use my Louisiana state ID to vote?
While a Louisiana state ID is an acceptable form of identification for voting, there are additional requirements for voter registration. It is advisable to check with your local election office for specific voter registration guidelines.
5. How long is a Louisiana state ID valid?
A Louisiana state ID is valid for six years. You will need to renew it before the expiration date to ensure you have a valid identification document.
In conclusion, obtaining a Louisiana state ID requires a fee of $21.50. The application process involves visiting your local OMV office, providing the necessary documentation, and paying the fee. Remember to check the OMV website or contact your local office for the most up-to-date information on fees and requirements. A state ID is an essential identification document that can be used for various purposes, so ensure you have one to meet your identification needs.