Standing against big government and for the people!
Looks like butts are probably puckering on this one! And they should be!
CBS News investigative journalist Sharyl Attkisson on Tuesday night reported that the Obama administration has turned over documents relating to the Benghazi terrorist attack to the Senate Intelligence Committee. She made a number of revelations that don’t bode well for the White House via her official Twitter account.
“One source who viewed the docs says someone in federal agency ‘press shop’ was involved in changing the talking points to remove al Qaeda,” Attkisson wrote.
She also reported that an “official familiar with the docs” said there were advanced warnings in the days leading up to the attack, including ones that “specifically warned of an imminent attack on the U.S. compound in Benghazi.”
The CBS reporter also referenced another source familiar with the Benghazi documents that said nearly all communication between Libya and Washington, D.C., since the attack began referenced al-Qaeda as being the likely “instigators.” That portion is significant because there are still unanswered questions as to why the Obama administration initially blamed the attack on an anti-Muslim YouTube video.
“A source who viewed the docs says the few that mentioned a protest” on night of Benghazi “were not first hand references,” Attkisson reports.
Additionally, she cited two sources that believe information on Benghazi survivors and transcripts of their interviews still have not been provided in unredacted form to the Senate Intel Committee.
Here are the screengrabs of Attkisson’s tweets:
An armed man waves his rifle as buildings and cars are engulfed in flames after being set on fire inside the U.S. consulate compound in Benghazi late on September 11, 2012. / STR/AFP/GettyImages
Updated 10:01 PM ET
Prior to the Senate Intelligence Committee's vote on CIA director nominee John Brennan to move to a full Senate vote, the Obama administration provided much of the information the Senate Intelligence Committee had been requesting for five months regarding the Sept. 11, 2012 attack on the U.S consulate in Benghazi, Libya, CBS News has learned. The documents are voluminous and both Republicans and Democrats on the committee had the opportunity to review them.
Documents provided include emails regarding "who changed the Benghazi talking points" and many communications between officials in Libya and Washington, D.C., leading up to and during the attack.
Regarding the talking points: one source who reviewed the documents said removal of the word "al Qaeda" from the talking points was initiated, at least in part, by one of the "press shops." The source said press officers from the Defense Intelligence agency, the White House and the FBI were "looped in" from the start and that some of them expressed concerns in writing that the media would ask follow up questions if certain words or phrases were used. The source added that the Director of National Intelligence James Clapper and then-Deputy CIA Director Michael Morell were included in these emails.
When asked whether Clapper and Morell misled Congress when they didn't disclose who changed the talking points (because they knew), one source said "the exact right question wasn't asked."
The documents indicated numerous other changes were made to the talking points, including removal of certain references to an "attack."
The source who reviewed the documents also flagged several emails prior to the Benghazi attacks from officials in Libya to Washington, D.C., that supposedly specifically warned of an imminent attack within days of the Benghazi consulate.
Additionally, the source says "most if not all contact" between officials in Libya and Washington, D.C., once the attacks began reference al Qaeda, al Qaeda-affiliated cells or both as being the suspected instigator from the very start. The few references to demonstrations were by people who hadn't directly observed any.
"It's amazing that anyone would question who was behind the attack and keep the idea of the demonstration going for weeks," said the source.
Brennan sailed through the committee vote today, 12-3, after committee members were able to review the Benghazi documents along with information relating to the administration's drone policies - two issues that held up a vote on his nomination.
"It was unfortunate these issues delayed the process, but I am confident that they have been resolved," committee chairman Sen. Dianne Feinstein, D-Calif., said in a statement. Feinstein said later she expects Brennan to get the 60 votes of support needed to break a filibuster.
However, Sens. John McCain, R-Ariz., and Sen. Lindsey Graham, R-S.C., have vowed to block a full vote on Brennan until their questions on Benghazi, drones and other issues are answered.
McCain's office said Tuesday night that since he's not on the committee, McCain was not able to view the documents and indicated he's still awaiting answers to questions he posed to Brennan last month.