Patriot Action Network

Standing against big government and for the people!

John Quincy Adams' speech concerning The Declaration of Independence and The 4th of July.

[EXCERPT.]

I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the Republic for which it stands; one nation, under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all.

An
Oration
Delivered
Before the Inhabitants
of
the Town of Newburyport,
at their request,
on
the Sixty-First Anniversary
of
the Declaration of Independence,
July 4th, 1837.

By John Quincy Adams.

"Say ye not, A Confederacy, to all them to whom this people shall say A Confederacy; neither fear ye their fear, nor be afraid." Isaiah 8:12.

ORATION.

Why is it, Friends and Fellow Citizens, that you are here assembled? Why is it, that, entering upon the sixty-second year of our national existence, you have honored with an invitation to address you from this place, a fellow citizen of a former age, bearing in the records of his memory, the warm and vivid affections which attached him, at the distance of a full half century, to your town, and to your forefathers, then the cherished associates of his youthful days? Why is it that, next to the birthday of the Savior of the World, your most joyous and most venerated festival returns on this day? – And why is it that, among the swarming myriads of our population, thousands and tens of thousands among us, abstaining, under the dictate of religious principle, from the commemoration of that birth-day of Him, who brought life and immortality to light, yet unite with all their brethren of this community, year after year, in celebrating this, the birth-day of the nation?

Is it not that, in the chain of human events, the birthday of the nation is indissolubly linked with the birthday of the Savior? That it forms a leading event in the progress of the gospel dispensation? Is it not that the Declaration of Independence first organized the social compact on the foundation of the Redeemer's mission upon earth? That it laid the corner stone of human government upon the first precepts of Christianity, and gave to the world the first irrevocable pledge of the fulfillment of the prophecies, announced directly from Heaven at the birth of the Savior and predicted by the greatest of the Hebrew prophets six hundred years before?

Cast your eyes backwards upon the progress of time, sixty-one years from this day; and in the midst of the horrors and desolations of civil war, you behold an assembly of Planters, Shopkeepers and Lawyers, the Representatives of the People of thirteen English Colonies in North America, sitting in the City of Philadelphia. These fifty-five men, on that day, unanimously adopt and publish to the world, a state paper under the simple title of 'A DECLARATION.'

*******************************************************************************************************

FULL ARTICLE:

www.wallbuilders.com/LIBissuesArticles.asp?id=9717

Companion Article:

www.wallbuilders.com/LIBissuesArticles.asp?id=82

We certainly don't hear this taught in American Public schools anymore. Nor do we hear much mention of it by, well, anyone today. Most folk, even a lot of Conservatives, have never heard of this speech. To many this is the first time to be "introduced" to it. There is so much peripheral "fluff" and generic "jargon" bantied about concerning the 4th of July that many don't even remember that we commemorate the 4th because of the Declaration of Independence and the official and sincere acknowledgment of America's Founders of the hand of God upon them through it all.

When we study America's roots, heritage true history it becomes clear that we have lost much of our National Heritage...it has been long forgotten, and by some forsaken.

What do YOU think of when you celebrate Independence Day, i.e. the Forth of July? What do miss from this day that YOU used to look forward to? What do YOU miss that maybe you took for granted? What does Independence Day mean to YOU?

God Bless America             One Nation Under God

-Rev. Larry Wallenmeyer.

www.patriotactionnetwork.com/profiles/blogs/my-sources

Also visit us at:  www.patriotactionnetwork.com/group/thecornerstoneofthenation

A Divine Breath of FRESH Air!

Tags: 4th+of+July, Independence+Day, John+Quincy+Adams, July, Liberty, Patriot, Savior, birthday, joyous, venerated

Views: 39

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Ruth Ann Wilson, thanks!

Here are a couple of more quotes from America's Founders to remind us of WHAT they fought and worked for:

Oliver Ellsworth

Chief-Justice of the Supreme Court

[T]he primary objects of government are the peace, order, and prosperity of society. . . . To the promotion of these objects, particularly in a republican government, good morals are essential. Institutions for the promotion of good morals are therefore objects of legislative provision and support: and among these . . . religious institutions are eminently useful and important. . . . [T]he legislature, charged with the great interests of the community, may, and ought to countenance, aid and protect religious institutions—institutions wisely calculated to direct men to the performance of all the duties arising from their connection with each other, and to prevent or repress those evils which flow from unrestrained passion.

(Source: Connecticut Courant, June 7, 1802, p. 3, Oliver Ellsworth, to the General Assembly of the State of Connecticut)

Benjamin Franklin

Signer of the Constitution and Declaration of Independence

[O]nly a virtuous people are capable of freedom. As nations become corrupt and vicious, they have more need of masters.

(Source: Benjamin Franklin, The Writings of Benjamin Franklin, Jared Sparks, editor (Boston: Tappan, Whittemore and Mason, 1840), Vol. X, p. 297, April 17, 1787. )

I have lived, Sir, a long time, and the longer I live, the more convincing proofs I see of this truth, that God governs in the affairs of men. And if a sparrow cannot fall to the ground without His notice, is it probable that an empire can rise without his aid? We have been assured, Sir, in the Sacred Writings, that "except the Lord build the House, they labor in vain that build it." I firmly believe this; and I also believe that without His concurring aid we shall succeed in this political building no better, than the Builders of Babel: We shall be divided by our partial local interests; our projects will be confounded, and we ourselves shall become a reproach and bye word down to future ages. And what is worse, mankind may hereafter from this unfortunate instance, despair of establishing governments by human wisdom and leave it to chance, war and conquest.

I therefore beg leave to move that henceforth prayers imploring the assistance of Heaven, and its blessings on our deliberations be held in this Assembly every morning before we proceed to business, and that one or more of the clergy of this city be requested to officiate in that service.

(Source: James Madison, The Records of the Federal Convention of 1787, Max Farrand, editor (New Haven: Yale University Press, 1911), Vol. I, pp. 450-452, June 28, 1787.)

* For more details on this quote, click here.

Thomas Jefferson

Signer of the Declaration of Independence and Third President of the United States

Give up money, give up fame, give up science, give the earth itself and all it contains rather than do an immoral act. And never suppose that in any possible situation, or under any circumstances, it is best for you to do a dishonorable thing, however slightly so it may appear to you. Whenever you are to do a thing, though it can never be known but to yourself, ask yourself how you would act were all the world looking at you, and act accordingly. Encourage all your virtuous dispositions, and exercise them whenever an opportunity arises, being assured that they will gain strength by exercise, as a limb of the body does, and that exercise will make them habitual. From the practice of the purest virtue, you may be assured you will derive the most sublime comforts in every moment of life, and in the moment of death.

(Source: Thomas Jefferson, The Writings of Thomas Jefferson, Albert Bergh, editor (Washington, DC: Thomas Jefferson Memorial Assoc., 1903), Vol. 5, pp. 82-83, in a letter to his nephew Peter Carr on August 19, 1785.)

The doctrines of Jesus are simple, and tend all to the happiness of mankind.

(Source: Thomas Jefferson, The Writings of Thomas Jefferson, Albert Bergh, editor (Washington, D. C.: Thomas Jefferson Memorial Assoc., 1904), Vol. XV, p. 383.)

I concur with the author in considering the moral precepts of Jesus as more pure, correct, and sublime than those of ancient philosophers.

(Source: Thomas Jefferson, The Writings of Thomas Jefferson, Albert Bergh, editor (Washington, D. C.: Thomas Jefferson Memorial Assoc., 1904), Vol. X, pp. 376-377. In a letter to Edward Dowse on April 19, 1803.)

-Rev. Larry Wallenmeyer.

The PLEDGE

The following is how I believe the pledge should be recited. It is now recited haltingly, lacking any continuity of thought, as if we are all children. Notice I add the word "constitutional," this is because our form of government is uniquely different from all other so-called republics; moreover, the States have a Constitutional guarantee of a republican form of government In a constitutional republic, the individual can never be separated from his God-given Rights. Furthermore, "indivisible" means we are never to be separated from Liberty and Justice for all.

I pledge allegiance to the flag of the united States of America;

and to the constitutional republic for which it stands;

one nation under God;

indivisible with Liberty and Justice for all.

Anyone who disagrees with my opinion here, needs to go back to orientation, you have missed something vital.

Dick Wells:

Well stated .... I'm with you !

Happy 4th of July to you and your family !

Well stated Dick. In fact the President and all others in service to this great country swear to Protect and Defend the Constitution of the United States.

It means that a handful of patriots rebelled against the tyranny of King George and fought to give us a republic free from tyranny and the right to worship God with Freedom and Liberty.  The founding fathers gave us a Constitution and the Declaration of Independence which set us free.  Those freedoms are being eroded and abolished under a muslim, communist president who is intent upon taking all that was given by God and our ancestors.  We can't let it happen.  God Bless America and the people who love her.
We need to celebrate INDEPENDENCE DAY, something all too few Americans understand in this day & age!  We need to re-train them, BIG TIME!
God has played an important part of all the wars we have fought.  I was watching an article of the war of 1812 because I didn't know much about it.  When the British soldiers were burning Washington, they had torched the federal buildings and the White House and were going to burn the rest, when all of a sudden out of nowhere there appeared a Hurricane which started dispersing these soldiers...then along with the Hurricane, a tornado came down upon them and they scattered and left the rest of Washington intact.  When was the last time you heard of Washington, DC being hit with a hurricane ... I believe that this was divine intervention.  God Bless America....we need you now.

Ginger Lymbery:

" When was the last time you heard of Washington, DC being hit with a hurricane ? "

January, 2008 ... and it was a cat. 4 and it's lasting 4-years.

DO YOU THINK THE GOOD LORD WILL LET IT PETER-OUT IN 2012 ?

WE CAN ONLY PRAY ..................... AND ........... VOTING WOULD HELP TOO !

HAPPY 4TH TO YOU AND YOUR FAMILY !

Ginger, YES, thank you for your post.  God can make the difference and heal our land if people would just turn back to Him in our country.  God is our only hope.  I am copying your reply as part of my history lessons for my grandchildren. 

Ginger very well said. Deuteronomy chpt. 28 is 68 verses long and details what you stated above.

Thanks! God Bless!

God Bless America!

One Nation Under God!

In God We Trust!

-Rev. Larry Wallenmeyer.

American Flag Clipart - Image 3

Liberty = is the reward of keeping Gods Commandment 'forgive your fellow men of all their trespasses'

Freedom = is the ability to do that which we aught - not the right to do that which we want.

Truth = is Gods, not mans

Justice = is Gods, not mans. Gods laws apply to all. (Judges, lawyers, enforcers = thieves with a good conscience; see Liberty above) - Gods Laws apply to you; Repent Vipers.

Wickedness = men who force fellow men to throw their pearls before them to be judged - Dogs and Swine.

We are to worship God and enjoy Liberty - Not do His Job and suffer hell and outer darkness.

Gods Plan is Free Agency - Liberty is the reward; Wickedness takes free agency away - and we call ourselves Christians? Matt 25:40  Inasmuch as ye have done it unto one of the least of these my brethren, ye have done it unto me.

Brave = Men who Follow Gods Laws - regardless of temporal consequences

Happy 4th - my fellow Freedom Fighters

I really don't know where you found those definitions, but they are beautiful and well said.

RSS

Resources and ACTION

FLIP GEAR!

The Case to Impeach Resource:

Take Back the GOP!

Badge

Loading…

© 2014   Created by Grassfire Nation.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service