Patriot Action Network

Standing against big government and for the people!

CONTRACT NOT RENEWED BY THE WEATHER CHANNEL..... OVER HER MILITARY SERVICE......

Nicole Mitchell, a former weather channel Anchor who holds a Captain ranking in the US Military says she was fired because of her military service. In 2010, Mitchell's contract with the weather channel was not renewed because the Weather Channel management did not want to contend with the time she took off for her military duties, the Marietta Daily Journal reported. She has accused the Weather Channel and its parent companies of violating her rights under the Uniformed Services Employment and Reemployment Rights Act of 1994.

“I was told in an email, ‘before you agree to military duty, you need to clear it through us first,’” Mitchell told Fox. “If you don’t show up for orders, you could be court-martialed.”

Mitchell, who has been in the Reserves for 20 years, began her career when she graduated from high school, she said her suit is not just about herself, but other military members facing discrimination who don’t have access to the same resources she does.

Mitchell said, she was reprimanded for choosing her weekend Air Force commitment over a scheduled hair appointment. After missing a separate makeup consultation, she said she was moved from the 7 a.m. to 10 a.m. weekday anchor shift to a Monday to Friday 10 p.m. to 2 a.m. shift.

“It‘s popular, right now to say, we support the troops and we’ve got your back, but if you’re going to say it you should mean it,” she said according to WAGA-TV.

It is illegal to fire someone for status as a reservist, but, not having a contract renewed is not the same as firing. She would be better served finding a new employer that respects her service or she could go active duty.

Now, if you want to brand the Weather Channel “nasty”, “unpatriotic”, “sleazy”, “demeaning to the troops”, etc, then you should knock yourself out, because those are all accurate descriptions of the company. If you refuse to watch them and tell others not to watch them, that’s awesome. I’ll be sure to do that myself, for this reason.

Tags: Military, Reserves, channel, mitchell, weather

Views: 3000

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

This is wrong.

Not only wrong but it just shows the Companies who are at odds witrh our GREAT NATION aand those who fight the battles hard and are punishwed for doing so, like we of the Viet  Nam times.. This is line with the desires of our Muslim President.. Will we who love this NATION devdery get it  back in our control? GOD PLEASE HELP US..

This is wrong!

How very wrong is this.    They are the ones that have been keeping us safe from the beginning.  Because of what they see in war times, some come back not only maimed, but confused and mixed up.  Who is to say that any of the rest of us would not handle it the same way.  God Bless our Military.

I seldom watch it anymore

Under Federal Law they cannot refuse her continued employment because of her Military Service, neither can they condition her continued employment on her scheduling her duty time around their schedule.  Both actions are a violation of the cited statute that appears in the story.

Not only the Rservist, but many of the National Guard troops are discriminated the same way.  My son was looking for a job when he came back from Iraq a few years ago, and because he is a member of the AZ National Guard, noby would hire him.  And he was told to his face the reason they would not hire him was because he was Nat. Guard.  Thank God for companies out there that do hire these Vet's and current troopers.

The weather channel has seen my last viewing of its information because of this obvious discriminatory act.  I was in the Guard and Reserve for 28 years and the ONLY place I had a problem was working as a clerk for the FBI...imagine!!!

It really is too bad they have this kind of attitude.  I would suggest she consider a lawsuit as it is obviously a violation of her rights!

I refuse to watch a channel that promotes global warming on a 24/7 basis.

That's right, they do and I stopped watching them a long time ago because of that too.

THIS IS A CRYIN SHAME THESE FOLKS GIVE THEIR ALL AND EVEN THEIR LIVES, FOR US. AND THIS IS HOW WE REPAY THEM? NAM VETS WHERE CALLED BABY KILLERS AND DRUGGIES WHEN THEY CAME BACK FROM A FAILED WAR. THIS SHOULD HAVE NEVER HAPPENED.  WAKE UP AMERIKA!

I don't like the weather channel because of there politics (all of them) but to be fair when I got out of the service after Vietnam I was told that only one term veterans had reemployment rights I was in for over one so to bad. I found employment somewhere else and never looked back.

RSS

Resources and ACTION

FLIP GEAR!

The Case to Impeach Resource:

Take Back the GOP!

Badge

Loading…

© 2014   Created by Grassfire Nation.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service